awards / past
To participate in the PromaxBDA MTC competition, follow these steps:
1. Create a profile
2. Download footage from the CW to create either a :30 or :60 trailer
3. Use the music library provided by Man Made Music
4. Visit www.jmtalent.com for a list of professional voice over talent to use to read your copy
5. Choose a voice-over artist who you think works best with your trailer
6. Send your first three voice over choices along with your script and any direction to Brittney McDade
7. Allow two business days for Jason Marks Talent to get your narration back to you
8. Please note you do not have to use Jason Marks Talent
9. Read the advice provided by marketing professionals
What you could win
The winner will get a free pass to PromaxBDA: the Conference in Los Angeles and also be eligible for an internship at The CW Television Network. Presented by The CW, Workshop Creative, Man Made Music, Jason Marks and PromaxBDA.
Competition closes May 16, 2012 11:59 p.m. PST.
Is this competition open to high school students or college graduates?
No. This competition is only open to current undergraduate college students.
Can I submit more than one promo?
Yes. You can submit as many promos as you’d like.
Does it cost anything to submit?
No. Submitting your trailer to the PromaxBDA Making the Cut competition is free.
Do I have to use the music provided for my promo?
You may use music from the Man Made Music library provided OR your own originally composed music.
Can I create my own footage to use in the promo?
Yes. You may also use footage that you originally created.
If I am not a US citizen, am I eligible to compete?
Question: If you were going to provide a student with a few tips on cutting a promo, what would it be?
"Just because it's called a commercial or a promo doesn't mean that the audience watches it with a different set of rules. The work needs to be the funniest, coolest, cleverest, most emotional thing you've seen all day. The advertising needs to entertain the viewer no matter what."
– Chris Donavan, SVP Creative and Special Projects, The CW Television Network
“While it is great to promote a show you already know and love, try and see the show through the eyes of a new viewer. When you create a video for YouTube, you are often reaching out to other fans, bonding over your common affection for a particular show. However, when you create a promo, you are talking to people who have never seen the show and need to see why it is something they should watch. Try and put yourself in their place and then create something irresistible.”
– Seth Berkowitz, Executive Producer, Workshop Creative
To download files right click the links below and select "save link as" (or "download linked file as") to save the file to your drive.
The CW Secret Circle footage (zip)
The CW The Vampire Diaries footage (zip)
The CW Supernatural footage (zip)
Download Man Made Music audio files (zip)
Questions? Contact Miracle McClain, industry development and diversity program coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310.789.1539.